Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Lasagna, using my Bellini Intelli Kitchen Master

Ever heard of a Thermomix?  So have I, but I don't have one.  Instead I have the cheapo (comparatively) Target version (Bellini Intelli Kitchen Master) and since nothing momentous has happened in our family worth recording in this here blog, I'll resort to the old I've-been-busy-in-the-kitchen kind of post.  Of course, in fact, I haven't been that busy in the kitchen at all, but sometimes we have such an abundance of certain vegetables in the garden, that I have no excuse to grab a jar or can out the cupboard to ease the meal preparation routine.  And a bonus is that I can tell my self that I am really being such a healthy habit inspiration to my family by doing the whole organic, preservative free, fresh out the garden thing.  PLUS, I have the added bonus of justifying my Bellini purchase, whilst silently gloating that I didn't spend a fortune on a thermomix.  Yeah, I know, the thermomix is better, stronger bla, bla, bla.  Buy my version is cheap, and mine hasn't broken down (yet!) and Target is so great about returns anyway and when one of my blades was playing up I rang the repair/problems/information guru Mr Harry and VOILA within 3 days I had a new blade, no questions asked...

Enough said.  I love my Bellini - unashamedly.... and I love doing things like this...

Making Lasagna from start to finish:
                                  
Throw in some onions (halved) and garlic cloves (whole). 

A few (well maybe 6 or 10) seconds on speed 6 or so and then throw in some oil and fry on 100 degrees for a couple of minutes...


Get some more vegies ( Zucchini, celery - including the leaves, capsicum from the garden and carrots from, um, the fridge) and chop roughly...


before throwing in the Bellini and chopping on about speed 5 for 10 seconds till it looks like this:


Take some ripe tomatoes from the garden and halve them... and then throw them in to the Bellini and chuck it on speed 5 or so for 5 or so seconds (you'll have to imagine the picture of that one)


Then add some home-made (in the Bellini on another occasion and frozen, but that's another story) tomato paste...



...and some bay leaves, salt (tsp), sugar(tsp), red wine (about 1/4 cup), beef stock powder (2 tsps), vinegar (1 Tbsp), some Italian dried herbs/mixed herbs to taste (or some fresh herbs of your choice).  Put the lid on and cook for around 25 minutes (ignore it and go off and do some work, or check your emails, my blog - or a much more interesting blog, read a book or whatever!)


...Just before the 25 minutes are up, grab a frying pan and brown about 500g of minced beef.


...when that is good and brown the Bellini should be finished its job, so throw it all in together (I also add some salt and freshly ground pepper to taste at this point), and let it simmer while you make the pasta!


Grab 5 eggs, 1 Tbsp of olive oil, a pinch of salt and 500g of flour (you can adjust the amount, but there is always 1 egg to 100g of flour...oil and salt don't really vary).  Anyhow, throw them in the bowl...


...and blend first on about speed 7 or 8 for 5-10 seconds to combine and then knead on speed 2 for about 2 or 3 minutes....


...then turn it onto some cling wrap and pull it together as you wrap it up and rest for about 20 minutes or so.


...while that is resting it's time to make the white sauce.  I only have a picture of the final product, but melt between 20-50g of butter (depending on your taste and fat-liking-content) in the thermomix bowl on 100 degrees, speed 2 till melted (about 1 minute or so).  Add the butterfly/mixing tool thingy, then 500g of milk, some salt and pepper and then sprinkle 50g of flour on top.  Put it on speed 2-3 at 100 degrees for about 10 - 12 minutes, or until thick.]

This is what it comes out like... 

                                     

...thick and creamy....

                                   

Then onto the pasta... 

Roll out using a pasta maker (this is just a cheapo Kmart one)


...until it looks like this...


...then start layering...


...I love how you can just cut the pasta to size...


...ready for the oven (with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese spread on top)


Yum!  Lasagna (after about 45 minutes in moderate oven)!


That was a pathetically long post and, no doubt, as pathetically boring as it was long.  However, I have updated my blog again after suffering the pangs of guilt for neglecting it for a longer than usual period, and after suffering the nagging of my eldest daughter who, incidentally, turned 14 today.  

By the way, to make the lasagna/spaghetti, etc making more easy, I often make loads of the tomato/pasta sauce in advance and freeze it...so instead of grabbing a jar or sauce I pull it out of the freezer (just as easy), and admittedly I don't always make my own pasta -  just when I am in the mood!


2 comments: